The Different Types Of Trowels You Can Use When Plastering

When it comes to plastering, one of the most essential tools in a plasterer’s arsenal is the trowel. Trowels come in various shapes and sizes, each designed for specific tasks in the plastering process. Whether you’re a professional plasterer or a DIY enthusiast, understanding the different types of trowels and their uses can significantly affect the quality of your plastering work. In this guide, we will explore the various types of trowels commonly used in plastering.

Finishing Trowels

A finishing trowel is perhaps the most recognisable type of trowel in plastering. It has a flat, rectangular blade with rounded corners, and they come in various sizes. These trowels are used to achieve a smooth and uniform finish on the plastered surface. Their flat surface helps in spreading and levelling the plaster evenly.

When using a finishing trowel, keeping it clean and free from any debris is essential, as even the smallest imperfection can leave blemishes on your plaster. The key to achieving a flawless finish is to use the trowel with long, sweeping strokes, gradually flattening and smoothing the plaster.

Corner Trowels

Corner trowels are designed specifically for smoothing out plaster in tight corners and angles, such as those found in room corners or around window frames. Their triangular shape allows them to fit snugly into corners, ensuring a neat and uniform finish. Corner trowels are particularly useful when working on plasterboard walls, as they help create clean edges and eliminate excess plaster.

Edging Trowels

As the name suggests, edging trowels are used for edging and detailing work. They have a rectangular or trapezoidal shape with a pointed tip, which makes them ideal for creating crisp, sharp edges and defining the borders of your plastered surface. Edging trowels are especially handy when you need to trim excess plaster or make intricate designs on a plastered surface.

Pool Trowels

Pool trowels, also known as round-end trowels, have a curved, semi-circular blade. They are primarily used for finishing curved surfaces, such as those found in ornamental plasterwork or the inside of arches. The curved design allows for better control when working on concave surfaces, ensuring a smooth and even finish.

Hawk & Trowel Sets

A hawk and trowel set combines two tools: a hawk and a finishing trowel. The hawk is a flat, square platform with a handle underneath, used to hold and carry the plaster. The finishing trowel you use to apply and smooth the plaster onto the wall. This set is particularly useful for larger plastering projects, as it allows the plasterer to work efficiently without constantly reloading the trowel.

Choosing the right trowel for the job is essential in achieving a professional finish in plastering. Each type of trowel serves a specific purpose, whether for smoothing, detailing, edging, or applying adhesive. By understanding the different types of trowels and their uses, you can ensure that your plastering projects are completed to the highest standards.

Remember that the quality of your plastering work depends on your skills and the tools you use. So, invest in good-quality trowels and take the time to maintain them properly. With the right trowel and technique, you will be well on your way to creating beautifully plastered walls and surfaces that stand the test of time. Happy plastering!

Related Articles